Me

I'm a 30 year old stay at home mom of two beautiful boys! I love cooking, crafting, movies, playing with my boos, pop culture, and tons of other stuff! I fancy myself a bit of a foodie and have been trying to incorporate lots of fresh, seasonal, local organic foods into my cooking. Hopefully this blog will serve as a forum for me to try new recipes and share them with anyone who might be interested!!!

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The BEST pecan pie!!! This is no joke!

With the official holiday season among us, I've been seeing pecan pie recipes EVERYWHERE! I was always very intimidated by the thought of making pecan pie at home (though I'm not sure why) but a few Thanksgivings ago I decided to conquer my fear and give it a shot. My go to cookbook is the New Best Recipe by America's test kitchen. It's, by far, the greatest cookbook I've ever used! They test every recipe until it's perfect. I get requests for this pecan pie from all my husband's friends. I wanted to post the recipe here because you do have to either buy the book (which you should! It's seriously the best cook book out there!!!) or pay for a subscription to Cooks Illustrated to get the recipe from their website.
1  9" pie shell, par baked to golden brown
6 tbsp butter
1 cup brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup light corn syrup
3 eggs
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
Par bake the pie shell according to the instructions (I do mine at 400°F for about 12 minutes, until golden). As soon as the shell is done, reduce oven temp to 275°F.
Melt butter in a double boiler or a heat proof bowl over a pot of barely simmering water. Add brown sugar, salt, and vanilla. Stir until butter is absorbed. Off the heat, add the corn syrup and eggs. Return to heat and stir constantly, until it reaches a temperature of 130°F on an instant read thermometer. Stir in pecans. Remove from heat and pour into still warm pie shell. Bake at 275° until just set, approximately 55-60 minutes. Cool completely and serve!!!
P.s. if anyone does make it, please let me know what you thought!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment