Me

I'm a 30 year old stay at home mom of two beautiful boys! I love cooking, crafting, movies, playing with my boos, pop culture, and tons of other stuff! I fancy myself a bit of a foodie and have been trying to incorporate lots of fresh, seasonal, local organic foods into my cooking. Hopefully this blog will serve as a forum for me to try new recipes and share them with anyone who might be interested!!!

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Spinach cake!!!

I came across this recipe on Pinterest for spinach cake and thought "I have a 3 year old and 1 year old who refuse to touch the stuff... if they'll eat it in cake, then so be it!". After mulling over the original recipe I, of course, made a few changes! Olive oil was called for but I don't see olive oil being tasty in cake and it's pretty expensive so I subbed butter and coconut oil (I'm obsessed!!) instead. Fresh spinach is an absolute must! You will have way too much liquid and the color won't be a nice bright green if you use frozen. It was also suggested to serve it with whipped cream, but the cake needs a frosting with a bit more substance, in my opinion, so I opted for a lemony cream cheese frosting. It was perfect, not a hint of spinach flavor, both boys loved it (!!!) and it's green, just in time for St. Patty's Day :)  Enjoy!


 Cake
8oz, fresh, baby spinach. You'll need 1 cup of puree.
3 eggs
2 Tbsp sour cream
Squeeze of Lemon juice (1/4 of a small lemon)
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1/4 cup coconut oil
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
Cream cheese frosting (recipe below!)

Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9x13 pan.
In a food processor, chop the spinach as much as possible. It will not completely puree with out the liquid, but try to estimate as best as you can about 1 cup, add the lemon juice and add the eggs, 1 at a time. Continue to puree spinach until it resembles baby food. Meanwhile, cream together your butter, oil, vanilla and sugar. Add the spinach mixture to the sugar mixture and blend well! Add in the salt, baking powder, and flour and combine completely. Pour into a greased 9x13 Pyrex baking dish and bake 25-30 minutes, until a butter knife comes out clean. Cool completely and frost with your choice of frosting. I used the cream cheese frosting recipe below :)
*For mini cupcakes, bake at 350°F for 12-14 minutes. Makes 64*

Frosting
8oz cream cheese, softened
5 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp lemon zest
1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
Beat all ingredients together until smooth and creamy.

No comments:

Post a Comment