This recipe makes about 4 dozen and will serve about 8 people but I freeze half in the sauce and it reheats amazingly well!!!
- 2 lbs ground sirloin (85/15)
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped in a food processor
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup plain, dry breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- 8oz. sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Combine beef, onion, sour cream, egg, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, and spices with hands. Shape into 1 3/4-inch balls (I use a small ice cream scoop).
- Heat oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook meatballs, shaking skillet, until browned and cooked through, about 6 minutes. Keep warm in oven on a clean rimmed baking sheet.
- Pour off all but approximately 3 TBSP of fat, adding more to make 3 TBSP, if necessary. Add mushrooms, if using; cook over medium heat, stirring, until liquid is released and they start to caramelize a bit. stir in flour; add thyme,wine and stock. Raise heat to medium-high. Simmer, stirring, until thick, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the meatballs back to the pan and serve with mashed potatoes or egg noodles and veggie of your choice!